5G technology is a breakthrough.The next generation of telecom networks (fifth generation or 5G) has started hitting the market end of 2018 and will continue to expand worldwide.Beyond speed improvement, the technology is expected to unleash a massive 5G IoT (Internet of Things) ecosystem where networks can serve communication needs for billions of connected devices, with the right trade-offs between speed, latency, and cost.This makes sense if you think about what 5G has to offer.
5G speed tops out at 10 gigabits per second (Gbps).5G is 10 to x100 faster than what you can get with 4G.
5G technology is driven by 8 specification requirements:
- Up to 10Gbps data rate – > 10 to 100x speed improvement over 4G and 4.5G networks
- 1-millisecond latency
- 1000x bandwidth per unit area
- Up to 100x number of connected devices per unit area (compared with 4G LTE)
- 99.999% availability
- 100% coverage
- 90% reduction in network energy usage
- Up to 10-year battery life for low power IoT device